3/1/10

June Cleaver I'm Not



I'm not even close to getting my June Cleaver badge (unlike my sister Lorrie but that's a post for another day). I do clean my house, I try to keep it decluttered. Shovel out the crap now and then and swab the toilets regularly, you know. My husband makes this challenging at times as he has a couple of hoarder genes in him. Because of this I list regularly on ebay  and generally have lots to offer on recycling day. So I'm not perfect but I'm comfortable in my cleanliness.
I was talking to my Mom on the phone this morning, just chit chat. As we were talking her dryer buzzed and she said, "oh, I need to get my potholders out of the dryer."  *crickets*  "Mom," said I, "I don't recall ever washing a potholder in my life".  Of course Mom answers "OH, I wash these frequently because they are really nice ones and I use them every day". To which I remark, "Mom, I use mine most every day too, in fact I'm looking at my favorite ones now and I'm thinking mine are probably growing E.Coli virus!" 
Aren't potholders in the same category as $4 rubber flip flops? You use them until they are just past super yucky then throw them away? Apparently my mother was remiss in teaching me the finer points of housewifery. That's probably why I never earned my June Cleaver badge. Damnit!
Maybe I should donate my potholders to the science department at the high school. I'm going shopping later in the housewares section of Target.

18 comments:

Babes Mami said...

maybe you can get your ANTI June Cleaver badge!

injaynesworld said...

Girlfriend, I couldn't even get a Wally Cleaver badge, so you're doing much better than I am.

Me-Me King said...

You have just made me realize that my potholders are crap. Maybe I'll see you at Target later today. :-)

Jude said...

I have washed Bill's mitts and potholders several times, but it does no good they still look like crap and he wont let me throw them away so I hide them and hope he doesn't pull them out when we have company. With 2 muddy dogs it's a good thing I'm not a clean freak I'd go even nuttier than I already am.

Lee said...

What are pot holders for??

Jen said...

I wash my pot holder.

What?

Frogs in my formula said...

At least your pot holders are well loved...heehee

Sandee said...

Bwhahahahahaha. I wash my pot holders all the time too. They get pretty nasty if you don't. Bwahahahahaha.

My husband has the hoarder gene too. Sigh.

Have a terrific day and thanks for the laugh. :)

Lin said...

I wash my pot holders (although not often enough) and my place mats--believe it or not.

Ann said...

I have washed pot holders in the past but that was in the past. Now I just stick them in a drawer and I can't see how bad they really look. I think I'm probably more like Peg Bundy than June Cleaver :)

Patricia Rockwell said...

My philosophy is you hold on to potholders until you catch them on fire (something that happens to mine with unfortunate regularity).

The Bee said...

HOLY PEARL NECKLACE BATMAN!!! Mother - I totally wash my pot holders. You may now never talk about my house keeping habits again.

Buggys said...

The potholder washing apparently skipped a generation.

Liz Mays said...

Oh crap. I wash mine.

vange said...

If you cook less, you use potholders less and they don't get icky. Problem solved!

Joey Lynn Resciniti said...

A potholder shouldn't be too clean. That added gunk is another level of protection. I wouldn't want to risk grabbing a hot pot with a perfectly clean pot holder!

BeadedTail said...

We wash our potholders but not sure where that idea came from cause I don't remember my mom ever teaching me that.

MikeWJ at Too Many Mornings said...

Maybe your mom grew up in the Great Depression or something and also has giant balls of string and rubber bands in her cupboards. I don't even have potholders. I just use towels.