11/6/09

Bathroom Re-Do


We made some changes in our powder room recently. Nothing costly, just my time mostly. Everything in the powder room was just 'builder grade', in other words, generic. We had already painted the walls a soft taupe color that I really like. Then I decided to give it some more personality and let's face it...I have time on my hands, I mean I can't iron every day! I had this picture of a painting someone else had done of a stone fountain in a fish shape. With some acrylic paint and clear glaze I recreated, to the best of my ability, that stone fish on my bathroom wall. I think it turned out pretty well.
We then turned our attention to the mirror over the sink. B.L.A.H. We went down to the Lowe's and bought some decorative chair rail molding along with those corner blocks.Hubs cut them to size, no mitered corners as we used the blocks instead. I painted the molding a rust color, then sponged on a dark brown paint to give it a weathered metal look. We attached it directly to the mirror with some liquid nails.
I have to say I am happy with the finished product and that mirror project was the very easiest thing we have ever done. You get a lot of bang for your buck on that project.
So what do you think?

15 comments:

Daisy said...

It came out great! At first I thought the fish was a real fountain!

Lee said...

You painted that?? Holy shit!! I thought it was real too!!

Jude said...

I also thought the fountain was real it looks beautiful and the mirror looks great too.

MikeWJ at Too Many Mornings said...

Good God, you're very talented. That fountain looks real, and the mirror is very professional looking. Can you come re-do my bathroom now that you're finished with yours?

Anonymous said...

You painted that fish thingy? Wowzie you are better than good. Mirror looks super too. Who knew you were such a talented artist? Got more stuff to show us?

The Bee said...

Holy Trompe L'oeil Batman! Good job ;)

Ann said...

The mirror looks fantastic. As for the painting. WOW, you painted that? That looks awesome.

Alesha @ Full Time Mama said...

WOW!!! I am so impressed! My house now? =)

Lin said...

WOW! Hey, good job, pally!

HeartsMakeFamilies said...

Wow what an awesome job. I thought it was totally real.

Cruise Addict said...

Awesome job, now you have a new calling artist or interior decorator :-)

Veronica Lee said...

I see some serious talent there!!

The Peach Tart said...

That looks great

Me-Me King said...

I'm impressed! You did an awesome job.

Russ said...

Great job.You can come help me with a few projects.