1/12/10

2010 Census Cautions


2010 Census
Cautions from the Better Business
Bureau


The Better Business Bureau advises people to be
cooperative, but cautious, so as not to become a victim of fraud or
identity theft.
The first phase of the 2010 U.S. Census is under way as
workers have begun verifying the addresses of households across the
country.

The big question is
- how do you tell the difference between a U.S. Census worker and a con
artist?

**
If a U.S. Census worker knocks on your door, they will have a badge, a
handheld device, a Census Bureau canvas bag, and a confidentiality
notice. Ask to see their identification and their badge before
answering their questions. However, you should never invite anyone
you don't know into your home.

** Census workers
are currently only knocking on doors to verify address
information.

Do not give your Social Security number, credit card or
banking information to anyone, even if they claim they need it for the
U.S. Census. This
is fraud!


REMEMBER, NO MATTER
WHAT THEY ASK, YOU REALLY ONLY NEED TO TELL THEM HOW MANY PEOPLE LIVE
AT YOUR ADDRESS..


While the Census Bureau
might ask for basic financial information, such as a salary
range,

YOU DON'T HAVE TO ANSWER ANYTHING AT ALL ABOUT YOUR
FINANCIAL SITUATION.

The Census Bureau will not ask for
Social Security, bank account, or credit card numbers, nor will employees
solicit donations. Any one asking for that information is NOT
with the Census Bureau.

AND REMEMBER, THE CENSUS BUREAU
HAS DECIDED NOT TO WORK WITH ACORN ON GATHERING THIS INFORMATION.. No
Acorn worker should approach you saying he/she is with the
Census Bureau.


Eventually, Census workers
may contact you by telephone, mail, or in person at home. However,
the Census Bureau will NOT contact you by Email, so be on the
lookout for Email scams impersonating the Census.

Never click
on a link or open any attachments in an Email that are supposedly from the
U.S. Census Bureau.

PLEASE SHARE THIS INFO WITH FAMILY
AND FRIENDS.






11 comments:

Liz Mays said...

That's great advice! I didn't know that all I really had to answer was the number of people in my home. So that will be all I answer. ;)

Unknown said...

This was really some great information. I didn't know it was already under way. It definitely pays to be informed and safe

Me-Me King said...

Great advice, but here's another tip. You are only required to give the number of people living in your household. You will not be penalized for not complying by only giving this information.

Furthermore, you do not have to invite them into your home. Simply giving them the number of residents and close the door.

Lynne said...

It's really frightening to think of how many people could be taken advantage, particularly the elderly. This is excellent advice.

Anonymous said...

Can't imagine inviting them in - not in this town anyway...I'll have to remind my husband for an extremely bright man he can be so naive!

Grampy said...

Thanks. So many people get prayed upon. I'll be keeping my eyes open. We live in senior housing. I am surprised no one has tried to scam us yet.

Ann said...

good advice. It pays to be extra cautious these days.

Jude said...

Thanks for the info, I must be losing my mind because I don't remember ever talking to any census people before.

BeadedTail said...

Good advice! I haven't seen any out yet but I'll be careful when I do!

Veronica Lee said...

I'm not a US citizen but I'll definitely pass on this info to my U.S friends

Rick (Ratty) said...

Great advice, it's easy to make a mistake and be conned in situations like this. It will also hopefully help people be more willing to answer the door when a real census taker comes around.