1/4/10

Partridge In A Pear Tree


When I have a party, I always try to do one thing that's a standout. It's the obnoxious Martha Stewart coming out in me! It's fun for me and I get a kick out of doing this stuff. The special thing is always food and most of the time is a dessert because I have a love affair with pastry.
Somewhere in my travels; magazine, craft store, blog trolling, I saw a picture of this partidge in a pear tree and it stuck in my mind. All I did was make carrot cupcakes, then frosted them with a leaf tip and green, cream cheese frosting. I bought a package of fondant and formed the little pears and the partridge out of that. The feathers on the partridge are sliced almonds stuck in to the fondant while it was still very soft. The pear stems are pieces of toothpicks. I covered a cake circle as well as a small box, in green foil as my base. Stacked the cupcakes and added the fondant pears and partridge.
Anyone can do this, there was nothing hard about it. It did take a little time to make the partridge and the little pears but I just did it in the evening while watching tv. I think it was worth it, it turned out pretty cute and it made a great centerpiece for the dessert table in my dining room.

20 comments:

Leigh said...

That is really cute - and very standout! I love the almonds as feathers!

Me-Me King said...

Wow, this is awesome! I put you up there with the Ace of Cakes and Cake Boss. Thank you for the inspiration, I'm going to try my hand at making a wonderfully decorated cake.

Me-Me King said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Bee said...

Nice job if I do say so. I think next time we do one of these we need to plan the "stacking" better. The box showing on the corners bugs me.

Grampy said...

Excellent Job. You can beat Martha any day.

Liz Mays said...

I like how you said, "All I did was...." as if it could be replicated by someone other than your masterful self!

That is outstanding!

Unknown said...

Ingenious. Well done.

Lee said...

I love that!!

Ann said...

Wow, that is so cool. Aren't you just the clever one. I love the partridge.

Unknown said...

Very nice! Not obnoxious at all. Shows that you want to do something special for your guests. Brilliant! Thank you for sharing the recipe. :-)

BeadedTail said...

That is so cute! I love baking but am afraid to attempt projects like that. Maybe I'll have to get out of my comfort zone and try it though!

glutamine said...

Hi i would like to know i have a pear tree and its gets pears but do i need two trees then one they dont get that big the pears are small?but i get alot of them.

Jen said...

What a terrific idea! I love playing with desserts (it's SO much fun :o) Great post, but now I'm hungry...

The Bee said...

you need to learn how to make peanut butter icing -- for my birthday cake -- just saying

Anonymous said...

Wow, you made that? Amazing. Plus I have no idea what fondant is...

JD at I Do Things said...

These look adorable and delicious! I would love to chomp on that cute partridge.

There's an awesome book called "Hello, Cupcake" that has recipes for amazing cupcakes-that-look-like-things. You might enjoy it!

Jude said...

So creative and looks wonderful. I would never attempt it myself, I'm a horrible baker person, lousy cook also come to think about it.

Alesha @ Full Time Mama said...

I laugh when you say anyone can do it! LOL! You are AMAZING! That does look like fun to recreate though. If only I were as crafty as you!

Lynne said...

Okay Martha! That is VERY creative! The partridge looks terrific with its almond wings, very nice touch!

Nanuni Kokoritu said...

Looks very good!