11/9/09

Random Tuesday Thoughts



In my wallet, right now, I have 4 grocery store "preferred shopper cards". I took the time at these different stores to fill out the little form, wait in line at customer service, ask the chick at the customer service counter to discontinue her gossip fest with her buddy long enough to laminate a card for me. All of this so that I can save a few pennies on my grocery bill. Saving money is good. EVERY time I am in line to purchase my groceries there is someone ahead of me who does not have a card, the cashier ALWAYS pulls out his or her dummy card to give them the discount anyway! Why do I bother? I thought I was special!




I do not get along with "self checkouts". They intimidate me, they never, ever work for me. Just give me a live cashier. Even if they are having a conversation with the cashiers on either side of them about the girl who has called out 3 times this week with a lame excuse, it's better than doing battle with a stupid machine.




Remember when gas prices were up around $4.00 a gallon? Remember that food prices went up accordingly? Understandable, trucking, hauling, consuming fuel. Gas has been down to under $3.00 a gallon for quite some time now. Has your food bill gone down?




17 comments:

Maria @ Conversations with Moms said...

I always mess up on the self checkers. Its crazy.

What is it with cashiers talking up a storm while working. Aren't there managers around?

Veronica Lee said...

My food bill never goes down!!

Lee said...

I agree with self check outs. And my gas bill hasn't gone even though the prices have...hmmmm

Ann said...

none of my bills have gone down. Self check outs? hate em.

Stacieh said...

I noticed that prices at the grocery store are still high even though prices of gas went down and has stayed down.

Anonymous said...

We eat less LOL No, I think we are eating better but for some reason our food bill seems less. Aside from Trader Joe's we order our groceries on-line and have them delivered - Life without a car!

Jude said...

I love self checkout, but then I did work at a Lowe's at one point and had to take care of 4 of them. I think they're fun, but Bill hates them.

We seem to get some great buys at our Giant food store on Sundays, lots of buy one get one free deals and 10 cents off gas for every 100 spent so that even knocks the gas price down even more.

Lynne said...

I'm okay with the self check out, until the computer doesn't recognize what I'm buying! Drives me nuts!

Lin said...

If they could get the self check-outs to work properly, I think they are a great idea.

I never use those cards, instead I make the cashier look up my number by using my phone number. I refuse to carry a little card for every store I shop at--just give me the dang discount without a silly card!!

And right you are on the cost of food! Especially here in Crook County, IL--highest sales tax in the COUNTRY!!!

Alesha @ Full Time Mama said...

I'm beginning to think that none of the bills will ever go down again... =(

The Bee said...

Self-Check out is heaven sent! Maybe you need more pratice.

Frogs in my formula said...

My food bill has gone down $20 or so, which made more of a difference that I thought. I hear you about the self checkouts. If you have produce you're screwed.

BeadedTail said...

I don't quite understand why they have those cards other than to track what we buy. They should just give us all the discount all the time! As for self checkouts, I use them all the time and don't mind them until someone is waiting (impatiently) for me to finish. I can't speed the thing up so that's so annoying.

Unknown said...

nice to know I'm not the only one afraid or intimidated by those self checkout monsters....they're very scary.

Design It Chic said...

I'm so with you with the "preferred shopper card" thing.. why the heck do i bother carrying all those card around my wallet anyway? also McDonald's and Burger Kind and KFC.. they all have coupons regularly...but I've seen so many people having those discounts without the coupons..just cause they say they want the discount from the coupons... the coupons just don't make sense anymore ..right??

Anyway.. Happy Random!

*my Random Thoughts are up too:)

Kathy said...

Yeah, I noticed food prices too. It's insane. It's like every item I buy is between $3 and $4. Yikes.

My husband and I love the self-checkout. We are master checkers. Got a good system going. I scan. He bags. We are awesome to watch. If a cashier tries to help, we beg off. We can get out of there a lot faster than if we wait for them to bag.

MikeWJ at Too Many Mornings said...

I only use self checkouts so that I frustrate the cashiers by calling them over to help me out with stuff that I can't figure out. I figure that if everybody did it, they'd close them down. That's my plan, anyway.